The Electric Plant Board of the City of Russellville, Kentucky was created by City ordinance, dated July 7, 1942, pursuant to authority conferred upon the City by Chapter 119 of the Acts of the General Assembly of Kentucky, 1932, as amended. The Board was established for the purpose of owning and operating all properties, real, personal, and mixed, tangible or intangible, acquired or used or held for use in connection with the Tennessee Valley Authority as of June 30, 1942. The Board has the legal power and capacity to perform any act not repugnant to law and shall have the express power and capacity to do any and all acts or things necessary or convenient for the carrying out of the purposes of KRS 96.550 to 96.900. The Board consists of four appointed members, the term of one member expiring each year. The fifth member of the Board is a representative from the City’s governing body.
The Electric Plant Board has provided electric service to the citizens of Russellville since its establishment in 1942. It began providing wireless internet service to the greater Russellville area in 2006 and expanded its broadband services to video, telephone and high-speed data service in 2011. It currently serves approximately 4,000 electric customers and 1,000 broadband customers.
The Electric Plant Board purchases its electric energy from the Tennessee Valley Authority under an all-requirements power contract. The EPB has various contracts with video providers, a private phone wholesaler, and internet gateways. The Board, once appointed, is autonomous but makes an annual report to the City’s governing body. As a municipal utility in Kentucky, the Electric Plant Board is not subject to the state’s Public Service Commission. The EPB’s electric service is regulated by the TVA according to the terms and conditions of its current Power Contract.
The Electric Plant Board is managed under the direction of the Superintendent/General Manager. It currently has sixteen full-time employees and two part-time.